Thank you for visiting the B. A. Baker portfolio page.
I’m a published author writing about technology, LGBTQ+ issues, fandom, cultural exchange, and cyclical storytelling, and having a lot of fun doing it.
Originally from the Chattanooga, Tennesee, area, I graduated from Georgia Southern University in 2017 with a B.A. in Writing & Linguistics and have since relocated to Japan, where I have worked as an assistant language teacher since 2018. International cultural exchange is great!
My writing focuses are primarily on speculative fiction, including science fiction and fantasy, along with nonfiction media criticism and opinion. I love studying story structure and designing unique stories that stray far from the expected.
I edited humor-focused literary magazine Moonglasses Magazine from 2015-2017, and I am a co-founder and project editor for the fiction collective Quinlan Circle since 2018.
My fiction work has been featured on story websites such as Royal Road and Tapas, as well as mentioned in publications including the New York Times and The Guardian. My nonfiction work has been featured on this very website’s blog page, as well as on sites like ScreenGeek.net.
Most of my fiction has been in prose, but I am very interested in expanding further into mediums such as video games and comics.
Please take a look around my site and let me know what you think!
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or on Twitter if you happen to be around those parts.
The Gay Gatsby
- Release: January 1st, 2021
- Genres: LGBTQ+, Comedy, Sci-Fi
- Nick Carraway meets a mysterious man named Gaylord Gatsby and his whole life changes. Look out at the rainbow light and get the hell ready for the new remixed, metafictional version of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
- Cover by Joi Massat.
- A full novel published as a response to The Great Gatsby entering the public domain in 2021. Mentioned in the New York Times, The Guardian, and WIRED as part of the trend of Gatsby retellings and the state of copyright in storytelling.
- Audiobook published in 2022, narrated by Keith Yeager.
Hands Held in the Snow
- Release: 2019-2020
- Genres: Fantasy, Romance, Young Adult, LGBTQ+
- A moving LGBT+ fantasy coming-of-age story about two young women from very different backgrounds discovering each other and themselves in the midst of great turmoil in their city.
- 70 chapters, 110,000 words. Featured on the front page of Tapas on multiple occasions.
- In-story illustrations by Mikayla Buan.
Reborn on a Systemless Earth… With a System
- Release: 2020-Present (ongoing)
- Genres: Fantasy, Isekai, Contemporary, Comedy, LitRPG
- You know the setup. A young man on Earth hit by a speeding truck who ends up in a generic fantasy world. But what about this: A young man in a generic fantasy world hit by a speeding truck who ends up in modern-day San Francisco, and yet still wants to be a hero anyway? That’s how this one starts, and it just keeps on going.
- A three-book web serial with currently over 185 chapters and over 1,000,000 views on Royal Road.
- Cover by Mikayla Buan.
Web Fiction Directory
- A regularly maintained list of active websites for web fiction, webcomics, and interactive game experiences. The list has helped thousands of readers and writers discover new platforms, and is frequently recommended on social media platforms.
2010s Retrospectives Series
- An ongoing series of blogs published on my own website that examine different parts of the entire decade of the 2010s. Some articles are autobiographical reflections, some are deep-dives into media topics, and some are simple vignettes about forgotten moments that help paint the picture as a whole.
- My goal with the blog series is to provide a valuable, inevitably biased cultural artifact for historians studying the 2010s many decades in the future. Nearly 100 articles posted so far.
And, for a further list
Fiction – Prose
|Her Golemancer Girlfriend||Web serial||Fantasy, Action||2021-present||A queer-positive action story with over 100,000 views on Royal Road. Featured on the front page of Tapas. In-story art by Mikayla Buan.|
|ATL: Stories from the Retrofuture||Web serial||Sci-fi, Comedy||2018-2021||Long-running web serial with multimedia experiments, including artwork, comics, and games. Art by various contributors.|
|Gretel & The Really Hot Witch (feat. Hansel)||Short story||Comedy||2021||Collected in the “Sappho’s Spinning Wheel” WLW romance anthology.|
|Just Love Me||Short story||Magical realism, Romance||2020||A dramatic romantic story that uses magical realism to explore a literally fading queer relationship.|
|Lethal Weapon V||Scroll comic||Sci-fi, Parody||2022||An unfinished experimental comic using AI art for all panels. Adapted from a script by Alison Herndon.|
|Hands Held in the Snow: Date Night||Comic strip||Comedy, Romance||2021||Comic script and sketches. Art by Ryuichirou.|
|The Convenience Store on the Edge of Reality||Comic strip||Comedy||2020||Crossover comic script for Pride 2020 celebrations. Art by Ryuichirou.|
|Sandswept||Multimedia comic series||Fantasy, Sci-fi, Comedy, Horror||2012-2016||Project manager, story supervision, scripts, storyboards. Art and story work by various contributors.|
Games & Animation
|ATL: The New Knights – Chapter 3||Text Adventure||Game design, writing||2019||An experimental chapter of this web serial that uses the text adventure format to let readers nonlinearly explore a futuristic convention center. Branching paths, but no divergent storylines.|
|Sandswept – [S] Act 2||Game – Walkaround||Map layout design, script, game design||2014||Interactive narrative minigame, part of the Sandswept multimedia project. If the original file cannot be played, please try this linear playthrough version.|
|Sandswept – [S] Rode: Enter||Animation||Storyboards||2014||A short narrative animation, part of the Sandswept multimedia project.|
|[S] Rex Duodecim Angelus||Animation||Storyboards||2014||Contributed storyboards for sequences throughout the animation, most prominently in the sequence from 4:00 to 4:22.|
|Sandswept – [S] Rode: Get Mail||Game – Walkaround||Map layout design, script, game design||2013||Interactive narrative minigame, part of the Sandswept multimedia project. If the original file cannot be played, please try this linear playthrough version.|
|Close Talker by nelward – Review||2022||Reviewing a single song that helped me reflect on pop culture changes and amateur art.|
|The Curtains Were Blue For a Reason||2021||An article that takes apart an internet meme that transformed slowly into a dismissal of all literary criticism.|
|Obama x Romney Fan Fiction: The Nostalgic World||2021||Fandom, ironic humor, and politics swirling together in a way that could only have ever happened in the early 2010s.|
|Why Can’t I Marry Petra?! (and, Queer Romance in Video Games)||2020||An article about how LGBTQ+ representation in video games skyrocketed over the course of the 2010s.|
|Super Mario Bros Z Episode 9, and the Slow, Tortuous Death of Fan Projects||2020||A reflection on the nature of long-running fan projects.|
|Super Mario Dance Bros., Irony, and My First Semester of College||2020||Memories of the bizarre depths of Youtube.|
|Big Dumbass Movies||2020||A celebration of the biggest, dumbest blockbusters of 2018.|
|The Star Wars EU’s Old White Guy Jedi Problem||2019||An article about accidental shared universe bloat hurting storytelling opportunities.|
|It’s Always Friday||Novella||Editor||2022||Edited this sci-fi novella published on the author’s website.|
|Uh, Reincarnation Goddess? You Forgot to Give Me the System||Novel||Proofreader||2021||Web serial published over the course of 2021.|
|A Broken Clock||Short Story||Editor||2021||Edited this sci-fi short story published on the author’s website.|
|Invisible Werewolf Dracula meets Vampire Mummy Frankenstein||Novel||Editor, Proofreader||2020||Web serial published as an e-book and audiobook.|
|Moonglasses Magazine||Literary Magazine||Co-Founder, Editor||2015-2017||Humor-focused literary magazine. Read and edited fiction, poetry, nonfiction, and art submissions.|